Swine flu is continuously on the NHS agenda at the moment, and Health Care Risk Report presents a different view this month. Professor Hilary Pickles, a public health and risk expert, points out that lessons can be learned from the rush to set up antiviral distribution centres over the summer – not least that the distraction it caused posed a risk to normal NHS business.
Health Care Risk Report editor Pat Anderson has opened a new LinkedIn group for HCRR readers, contributors and editorial board members. Please take a look, join and consider contributing to the forum. Click here.
Also in the October issue of Health Care Risk Report :
– how GPs reacted to using the Primary Care Trigger Tool to identify harm in their practices, by Dr Richard Jenkins and colleagues from the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement
– whether “Seven steps to patient safety” is too far for GPs to climb, by Dr Tayza Aung
– how the NPSA plans to take forward learning from serious incidents, by chief executive Martin Fletcher
– patient safety in the Netherlands and Pennsylvania, USA
– the Department of Health’s new consent guidance and changes to Lasting Power of Attorney forms.
If your organisation does not currently subscribe to HCRR then please consider doing so. A subscription form can be downloaded here. You can also subscribe to the free ‘Health Care Risk Report e-zine’ newsletter.
Declaration of interest: Stuart Emslie, editor of Healthcare Governance Review, is on the editorial advisory board of, and is a regular contributor to, Health Care Risk Report.