The Patient Safety First campaign has published a ‘How to Guide’ for ‘Leadership for Safety.
The purpose of the guide is to provide board members and senior leaders with an overview of how they can develop their role and responsibilities in leading a safety agenda in their organisation and actions they can undertake to achieve this. In summary, the guide proposes the following key actions to improve quality and reduce harm:
1. Develop explicit strategic priorities and goals
2. Provide demonstrable leadership
3. Ensure executive accountability
4. Establish and monitor explicit system level measures
5. Monitor progress and drive execution of plans
6. Build patient safety and improvement knowledge and capability
The guide appears to be largely based on information provided by the US Institue for Healthcare Improvement (IHI). Reassuringly, the guide does not appear to fall too much into the usual NHS trap of confusing governance with management.
Download the How to Guide for Leadership for Safety here.